In 2021, nearly 38,000 persons of working age (16–64 years) in the United States died by suicide, which represents a 32% rate increase (13.4 per 100,000 population in 2001 to 17.8 in 2021) in just 2 decades.
- The data showed that suicide deaths for men (28.0 per 100,000) were considerably higher than for women (7.5 per 100,000).
- Suicide deaths were highest in these five major industry groups:
- Agriculture, Forestry, Fishing, and Hunting
- Mining, Quarrying, and Oil and Gas Extraction
- Installation, Maintenance, and Repair